IM this article to a friend!

October 22, 2002

Worker hurt in school fire

From: Rochester Democrat Chronicle, NY
Oct. 22, 2002

(October 22, 2002) — An unidentified contractor was injured in an electrical fire Monday morning at the Rochester School for the Deaf, 1545 St. Paul St.

The man was working on an electrical tray in a building that also houses the cafeteria and infirmary when he was shocked by a 480-volt line, said Rochester Fire Department Capt. Dan McBride. The man made it out of the building on his own, McBride said.

School spokeswoman Nisha Ferry said about 25 students were in a dining hall, two floors up from a boiler room where the electrical fire occurred at 11:30 a.m. The fire alarm was activated and the children evacuated the building and were sent to other buildings on campus.

Officials did not release the name or the condition of the injured contractor.

Power was expected to be turned on Monday night, with classes resuming today as scheduled.

Copyright 2002 Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.