IM this article to a friend!

June 8, 2006

Saved From Fire

From: KAKE, KS - Jun 8, 2006

Deb Farris

Saved From FireA Wichita man barely escapes when his apartment goes up in flames. The smoke detector worked, but that's not what saved his life. Lucreshiea Gilkey spent the day boxing up what's left of her brother's burned out apartment. The fire broke out around 2:30am Thursday morning in the 1400 block of north Minneapolis. Somewhow Montrel Bailey escaped with only minor burns on his feet, back and arms. The smoke detector worked, but Bailey didn't hear it because he's deaf.

His sister says he was going to get a special smoke detector that has flashing lights, but hadn't yet. Fire investigators say someone left the stove on and it caught fire. The flames swept through the kitchen attic and living room causing $25,000 in damage. They say it's a blessing that Baily is still alive.

Lucreshiea is moving her brother's things to a new apartment, hoping he will be better soon. Bailey is still in the hospital in fair condition.

© 2006 KAKE News