IM this article to a friend!

November 21, 2003

Fire at Vermont school for the deaf

From: Capital News 9, NY - Nov 21, 2003

By: Capital News 9 web staff

A fire at the Austine School for the Deaf in Brattleboro, Vermont forced the cancellation of classes from three different schools.

The blaze in an electrical transformer left two buildings at Austine without power Thursday morning.

Fire Chief David Emery said the fire broke out in the transformer room of Vermont Hall, prompting firefighters to shut down power to it and another hall.

Seven students and eight administrators were evacuated from the building and relocated to other residence halls.

School was canceled for some Guilford Central School classes, which had been operating at Austine since an October fire closed their school.

The Hilltop Montessori School, which also operates from the Austine campus, was also forced to cancel classes.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press, All rights reserved.