March 6, 2003
Boy still short of RM51,800 for operation scheduled for next month
From: New Straits Times, Malaysia - 06 Mar 2003
KUALA LUMPUR, March 6: The operation is scheduled to take place next month but the parents of three-year-old Putra Wan Jazree are still short of RM51,730.82 to realise their hope of having their son’s hearing restored.
Since the news of their adopted son's condition was made public in August last year the public, through the New Straits Times, has donated RM18,269.18 while department store Jaya Jusco has given RM10,000, making a total collection of RM28,269.18.
The cochlea implant will cost the family RM65,000 while the speech and audiology rehabilitation at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital will be RM15,000.
Jazree's father Abdul Hamid Omar, 58, said he personally has about RM5,000 to spare and hopes to be able to collect at least RM10,000 from family members.
He expressed the hope that the total amount of RM80,000 can be collected by this month, before the operation, which is scheduled for April 10.
"I am currently being helped by a certain Datuk who has personally pledged to donate the balance For that, I am very thankful," said Abdul Hamid when contacted today.
He added that the Datuk is also planning to organise a charity dinner some time this month for Jazree's cause.
Abdul Hamid said, according to his son's doctor, Jazree must be operated before he turns four.
Donors can send their cheques made payable to The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd (with Putra Wan Jazree's name written on the reverse) to The Cashier, Finance Department/Charity Unit, The New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd, Balai Berita, 31 Jalan Riong, 59100, Kuala Lumpur.
opyright © 2002 NSTP e-Media Sdn. Bhd. All rights reserved.