IM this article to a friend!

December 11, 2002

Unlined chimney blamed for fatal fire

From: WMTW, ME - 11 Dec 2002

OTISFIELD (AP) -- Investigators from the state Fire Marshal's Office say an unlined chimney was the cause of a pre-dawn house fire in Otisfield that took the life of a 47-year-old man who was deaf and partially blind.

Kerry Grover, who had been living alone in the 100-year-old farmhouse, was trying to escape the flames.

Steve McCausland of the Public Safety Department says the unlined chimney had eroded over the years and the heat from a wood-burning stove ignited Sunday's fire.

Another fire linked to a wood stove was reported at a home in the eastern Maine town of Brookton. The lone occupant of that dwelling, Gerald Gilman, managed to escape without injury.

Tips for safe utilization of woodstoves:
-Burn seasoned (dry) wood
-Use the stove properly. Ask a professional about burning adequate fuel.
-Make sure the chimney is lined.
-Clean the chimney at least once a year.
-Make sure you have working smoke detectors.
-Information provided by the state Fire Marshal's office.

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2002 WorldNow and WMTW. All Rights Reserved.