IM this article to a friend!

December 20, 2002

Hero declared in apartment fire

From: WHAG-TV, MD - 20 Dec 2002

By Joce Sterman

FREDERICK, MD DECEMBER 20 - The victim of Thursday's apartment fire in Frederick is being hailed as a hero. This story could have ended much more tragically, if it wasn't for seven-year-old Ashley Dalal. Her quick-thinking efforts saved the life of her deaf mother.

The blaze broke out just after midnight on Thursday in one of the first floor apartments in Elmwood Terrace. A neighbor heard a little girl's screams and called police to the scene. "He spoke to the little girl, Ashley, who said she woke up to a fire in her mother's room, woke her mother up, saw that her mother was on fire and was able to help her to get out to the hallway," stated Frederick City Police Lt. Shawn Martyak.

Ashley sustained burns on 40 percent of her body, and she is in stable contidition at Shriners Hospital in Boston. Her mother sustained non-life threatening burns to 10 percent of her body. Kaminis Dalal worked part-time and does not have health insurance, but a fund has been set up to help the family cover their medical expenses.

If you would like to help, send donations to the Kaminis and Ashley Dalal fund at the Bank of America in Frederick, Maryland at the following address:

Bank of America
1070 West Patrick Street
Frederick, MD 21703

Investigators believe the fire began when a candle fell off a nightstand and set the bedroom on fire.

© Copyright 2000 - 2002, WorldNow and WHAG. All Rights Reserved.